Thursday 4 November 2010

CHINA FOR THE WEEKEND

I don't like long flights (can't sleep, keep wriggling), and the thought of flying to China for a 2-day conference held no attractions, but I was talked into it by Lord Deben (who I know as John Gummer, the former Conservative Environment Secretary) who is now President of Globe International. Actually, I spoke to him on my mobile phone while I was walking in horizontal rain on a Scottish island. The phone died before the end of the conversation and hasn't worked since.

"It's really important. You CAN make a difference. We CAN help shape China's agenda on climate change before it finalises its next 5-year plan and sends delegates to the climate change conference at Cancun." That was the gist of it, I think.

I had booked an economy ticket for the flight to Bejing for the Joint Legislators' Forum to be held in Tianjin before the agenda arrived:

HIGH LEVEL OPENING SESSION

1. Wu Bangguo, Chairman of the National Peoples' Congress (said to be the second most powerful man in China).

2. President of Mexico, host to the next UN climate change conference.

3. Prime Minister David Cameron (by video!)

4. Chris Davies MEP


Now I just have to think of something worthwhile to say.

No comments: