Thursday 10 December 2009

BLOGGING FROM COPENHAGEN - AN AFTERNOON SEAT IN THE STALLS

A Brazilian lady has just come up to me, introduced herself as a first-time delegate, and asked me if I know what is going on.

I’m sitting in the vast plenary hall, with maybe 200 other people scattered around, half of them observers and half government negotiators. There is no sitting scheduled for this afternoon, but the last thing we heard before lunch was the conference president suspending the meeting, and that wasn’t scheduled either.

I don’t think any of us know what’s going on, but it’s 3.30pm and we’re here just in case. Maybe the negotiators know something, or maybe they are here just in case Connie suddenly appears, re-opens debate, and tries to sneak something through.

Nothing is happening, but it’s great theatre.

No comments: