Tuesday 30 March 2010

THE CANVASSING EXPERIENCE (1)

I have started canvassing for the general election and have been joined by Sarah, my assistant in the European Parliament, who is French and has taken a few days holiday to experience the British political culture. I introduced her to the art of election canvassing and she proved to be a natural.

We were in a Lib Dem held seat and the MP took Sarah away from the main road down a short cul-de-sac.

They returned to the canvassing team and the MP gave the details to the person holding the board: "First house, Lib Dem and will take a poster. Second house, I think the gentleman had just soiled himself. Election discussions were not appropriate."

"I went to the third house," said Sarah. "The man there was stoned out of his mind. The smell of weed just poured out of the door. He said he used to vote Lib Dem but can't remember when."

I think the BBC 10 o'clock news should tell us what it is like in the real world of politics.

No comments: