Thursday 4 March 2010

DON'T MENTION THE WAR!

We debate the Goldstone report on Israel's assault against Gaza in my European Liberal Democrat Group.

A proposal from me that we should formally welcome the call by EU foreign ministers for the immediate lifting of the continuing siege of Gaza is accepted. But my German colleagues are adamant that we should not include a reference to the fact that Israel has ignored the call and we should now consider what action to take.

So it is alright to express words but not alright to try and give those words meaning, or to do anything that might inconvenience Israel? It seems so. German proxy votes are marshalled to defeat me.

I bite my tongue. Words like "military occupation," "collective punishment," or "blood guilt," may be too close to home.

No comments: